Actions to date:
We have implemented the following measures to conserve resources and run a more eco-friendly operation:
- We meet and wherever possible exceed all environmental legislation and codes of practice.
- We have taken steps to minimise waste and increase recycling throughout our estate. We now recycle 44% of all waste, including bottles, paper, cardboard, plastics, newspapers and ink cartridges. We minimise paper use wherever possible and reuse and recycle paper throughout the hotel. With the increase in email enquiries we have moved from a paper brochure to a PDF version which can be attached to emails.
- We recycle guest slippers in Ballantrae. The money collected per kilo is then given to Ballantrae Primary School.
- We have introduced phosphate free cleaning products.
- We source local food and drinks suppliers whenever possible and promote these suppliers on our website, through the Taste Ayrshire Food Festival and through recommendations to guests ie. A complimentary glass of Bladnoch whisky to guests as part of our summer weekend package. Click here to see suppliers list.
- We do all we can to conserve energy from using a computer controlled heating system to using the shutters on the windows and the thick lined curtains to keep in the heat in the winter. All radiators have adjustable thermostats. All the wood for the log fires come from our own sustainable woodlands. We have switched to low energy light bulbs wherever possible and are pleased to confirm that 41% of our light bulbs are now low energy. We are in the process of phasing out high energy lighting over the next year and plan to replace these with LED bulbs. We have installed low energy bulbs in all utility areas and have added time switches wherever possible.
- We encourage staff car sharing for coming to and from work and also encourage bulk buying whenever possible to to help reduce our carbon footprint.
- We encourage staff and guests to share our commitment and always welcome suggestions on ways we can improve
- We recommend and promote numerous local tourism businesses to our guests such as the UNESCO Biosphere, Galloway Dark Sky Park, Culzean Castle, local golf courses, Pebbles Spa, Dumfries House, Bladnoch Distillery, Whisky Experience and many more.
- We strongly support the area by attaching a full list of activities and popular days out in the area in response to all guest enquiries. Click here to see Activities List |
Click here to see Days Out.
- We have also added to our website a list of 22 Car Free Activities for guests to enjoy plus a list of 10 Rainy Day Activities.
- We co-operate with local communities and people to ensure they benefit from the visits of our customers and encourage our customers to respect the local way of life.
- Glenapp Castle works closely with business partners, local authorities, regional and national governments and other organisations to work towards sustainable development of tourism for the area.
- We also acknowledge that we cannot achieve our goal of sustainable tourism development without the continued help and support of all our guests and staff. Thank you to you all.
Glenapp Castle Social Responsibility
Glenapp Castle guests help support several local and national charities by donating £0.50 per person per dinner to different charities throughout the year. Charities listed below:
- The Ayrshire Hospice
- Love Food Give Food
- Maggie’s Cancer Care
- Who Gives a Fork
Glenapp Castle also donates a range of luxury prizes from ‘afternoon tea for two’ to a ‘luxury overnight break for two’ each year to various Scottish and National Charity Events. See list below.
- Ballantrae Church Fair
- Ballantrae Summer Gala
- Emerald Ball
- Annual Flower and Vegetable Garden Competition in Ballantrae
- ‘Party in Pink’ Charity Dance to raise funds for The Ayrshire Hospice
- Girvan Youth Trust
- St. Andrew First Aid Event
- Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice’s Ball
- Breast Cancer Care Scotland
- Hansel Foundation, Ayrshire
Also in 2013, Glenapp Castle joined the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning in support of MacMillan Cancer Support – Ayrshire Appeal and raised £332.00.